Friday, April 4, 2014

Hick Finn Chapter(s) 22 - 30

Kay, this may be kind of short so I apologize in advance. Seriously, though, isn't this a terrible book? It's getting painful to read, but I'll keep sort if almost doing it. 
So, chapters 22 - 30. We have Tom doing some wandering around early on in chapter 22. He visits a circus and watches the displays in awe. There's all those shenanigans with the so-called king and duke. The two have an interesting relationship with one another. I would consider it a friendship, considering there appears to be a real bond between them that's pretty prominent in chapter 23 where the two easily work together constructing their stage. Not that their friendship wasn't already a thing, but I thought I'd point out their cohesion as a contributing factor to the strength if their friendship. 
I think that the play itself is a good example of betrayal within the text. The first night it's being put on, "the judge" insists that there needs to be more people there the following night. "What we want, is to go out of here quiet, and talk this show up, and sell the rest of the town," (Twain, 177). This is an exaggeration if the truth. Therefore, so long as my parents and teachers haven't been lying to me (at least about this) for the majority of my life, it is a lie. And obviously, lying can be considered a pretty severe betrayal by some people. 
By the way, let's all acknowledge how funny the misuse of "Shakspeare" in this part was. Plagiarisers beware.
Huck and Jim are still...allies, or whatever. Talking about the king behind his back could be considered betrayal, but I feel like I'm getting way too far into little details here and I'm almost certain I've hit enough words at this point, so let's just say I honestly read the rest of the chapters. I didn't enjoy it, and so out of the goodness of heart, I've chosen not to try boring you all to death. Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. I also thought that the duke and king betrayed the people by putting on that play. Why the people would go along with it and attract more people, I don't know. Its like everywhere the king and duke go they betray someone. When will someone finally stop them from their cimes.

    ReplyDelete